The consulting team will give two presentations of their work to the university community on Tuesday, October 28: one for the Downtown campus (Noon-12:50 pm, Tidewater Building Room 1201) and one for the Uptown campus (Tuesday, Oct. 28, 3:30-4:45 pm, Freeman Auditorium). These presentations will provide an opportunity to learn about the Climate Action Planning process, ask questions about it, and give input.
Tulane University joined the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment in Spring 2008. President Scott Cowen announced the commitment at the first Clinton Global Initiative University, which was hosted by Tulane in March 2008. To fulfill the commitment, the university needs to adopt a long-term plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and ultimately achieve climate neutrality.
In 2013 the consulting firm AEI was selected to re-visit and update a draft plan that had been developed internally. The team will provide more rigorous analysis of the costs and savings of possible emissions reductions measures in the areas of university energy use and transportation. After two discovery visits during the Spring semester, in Fall 2014 they will present their analysis and propose a plan for adoption.
Each year Tulane inventories the greenhouse gas emissions that result from university activities.
Climate Action Planning Documents
Consulting Team Visit -- April 2014
- Transportation Working Group: Presentation / Meeting Notes
- Energy Demand Working Group: Presentation / Meeting Notes
- Energy Supply Working Group: Presentation / Meeting Notes
- Student Global Citizenship & Sustainability Working Group: Presentation / Meeting Notes
- Steering Committee: Presentation / Meeting Notes
- Draft Climate Action Plan 2011
Liz Davey, Office of Sustainability
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory, 2011 & 2012
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory, 2010
- Tulane University Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory, 2006-2008
- Climate Commitment Advisory Committee
- Tulane Focus the Nation: a campus-wide conversation about climate change
- American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment
- Quick trick to reduce your energy consumption (New Wave, March 25, 2013)
- Going Green (and I Don’t Mean My Hair) at Tulane (Tulane Talk, October 23, 2009)
- Tulane University Releases Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory (News release, October 23, 2009)
- Bulb-swapping Program Gets Green Light (New Wave, April 22, 2009)
- Carbon-Neutrality Plan Is in the Works (New Wave, March 25, 2009)
- Tulane Receives Mixed Marks (The Hullabaloo, October 3, 2008)
- Opinion of the Hullabaloo: Improve Green Standards (The Hullabaloo, October 3, 2008)
- A Truly Green Tulane (Tulane Talk, September 26, 2008)
- Tulane University Signs Commitment to Carbon Neutrality (News release, March 18, 2008)
- Event focuses students on climate change (Hullabaloo, February 1, 2008)
- Focus on Climate Change (New Wave, January 25, 2008)
- Tulane University Greenhouse Gas Inventory (2002)